Thursday, December 10, 2015

Best Technological Ways to Increase Engagement in the Classroom

Snehansu, K. (2013).  Best technological ways to increase engagement in the classroom.  EdTech  

           In this article, author Kumar Snehansu, provides useful technological tools and strategies teachers can use in their classroom to engage students in active learning.  In the article he provides technology related suggestions specific for primary age children and then suggestions geared toward secondary and higher education.  He reported the education dropout rate is 10-15% each school year.  The reasoning varies from student to student, but one reason for drop out was due in part to a “loss of interest toward studies.”  As we are moving toward technology rich educational settings, it important we know how to utilize these tools in the classroom.

         At the primary level Snehansu suggests iPads to foster creativity and provide interactive learning experiences for students.  Another tool he suggests is using videos, animations, and humorous videos to create excitement and interest in learning activities.  He also said the use of email with parents was important at the primary level to communicate and keep parents informed. 

            I was shocked by the number of dropouts each school year, especially 10-15% at the primary level?!  I think he is right that education is changing.  In my opinion, technology is what we need to make a positive change in education.  I can see the difference technology makes in my classroom with the limited tools I have.  During center time, my students are most engaged and able to sustain attention for the longest period of time when they are using the ipad or computer.  Throughout the day, I supplement lessons and activities with videos and songs.  The beat from the music, animations, and movement makes learning both fun and engaging for students.   Not only do I use technology to support instruction but I also use it for classroom management purposes. 


          I think some teachers are hesitant to incorporate technology into the classroom because of the unknown.  With proper training, support, and guidance, I think a 1:1 environment where all student have access to a device can provide a powerful educational experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment